Wednesday, July 27, 2005

It's official- we live in Brooklyn

Though we drove up from Atlanta last week in our Penske truck nick-named "tic tac" and set up our apartment then, I feel I can now say we officially live in Brooklyn. Yesterday we got up at the ass crack of dawn, loaded up the car with a bunch of crap, our cats and our microwave and drove nearly 15 hours in stifling heat to our new apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It was an uneventful drive, save our cat Larry meowing almost the entire way while his sister Emily and brother Horace slept. The sky was clear, the gas was cheaper than Atlanta, and the fountain diet coke was delicious. The last hour was hard because we all just wanted to be here, and when we finally got here and released the cats from their carriers they hissed and growled and then used the litter box.

Today was another scorcher, so we only left the apartment to get a slice of pizza at Joe's on the corner (let me recommend the Sicilian cheese) and then headed to the organic market to pick up a few things for dinner. Our internet and my fax machine were not working well so I got frustrated and took a nap. I know, what a glamorous life I lead here in New York, but it is back to work tomorrow and I think I am a bit overwhelmed.

The heat is supposed to break and tomorrow it will be in the 80's. Jes and I hope to do a little grocery shopping, go to the bank, look for a few hotels for when her folks visit from Atlanta, and maybe go to Target and Ikea to get a last few things for the apartment. Friends start visiting next weekend. First Amanda, Lydia and Jay from Atlanta and then Pony and Thomas from Seattle & France. Then Jes's folks are driving up from Atlanta for her mom's birthday. My friend Nifa is in town this weekend to spent time with her friend up in Harlem who just had a baby. We are meeting her for a picnic in Central Park on Saturday. I am excited to see her and spend time in the park.

Other than that, I am trying to get into a flow of work and dissertation writing. Tomorrow I begin. I also need to visit the local yoga joint and find a class I like and can afford. I haven't been to yoga in a week and my body is very sad because of it. The cats seem adjusted. Larry is lounging on the bed, Horace on the floor (he has finally come out from under the bed) and Emily is relaxing on floor two of the kitty condo. Jes is laying next to Larry on the bed with her cute ass glasses on while she reads some Harry Potter book. I think I might go and try to finish watching the movie "Rosewood" so we can send it back to Netflix.

I know its a crime I am not taking in more of the city on our first free night here, but I imagine there will be time for that (Jes has three years law school and then says she will probably practice here "for about five years"). Really, what's the rush?

1 Comments:

Blogger dewey said...

i need to find a new yoga place too. It has been TWO weeks and i can tell.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home