Thursday, September 15, 2005

have you seen my motivation? i lost it

yall i am having a real rough time working it out today. all i want to do is lay on the couch with the cats. and frankly the fact that they drape themsevles across me all a purring does not make it easy to do much else.

this morning started like any other morning. i mean i even woke up before jes's alarm went off at 8am (she slept in today). i got my coffee, watched a little ann curry and al roker and then sat down and did what i have pledged to do every morning from now until april 2006: write first.

so i settled into my diss writing. finished up my minnesota participant grid and got to working on location three: chicago, illinois. i got about an hour into it and was just so distracted. i tried eating breakfast, taking a break to email a bday card to my best friend mary and then my internet went out. it has been on and off all fucking morning. i called time warner and they are coming on monday. until then i just hope it works or go to tea lounge. luckily 90% of the work i do for uact is online stuff, so that has made my job real easy today. yeah and so i am trying to get back into the diss writing this afternoon and i just want to sleep. so i figured i would post, i mean that is writing, even if it won't get me a ph or a d.

my back is aching like bacon b/c i did my first two volunteer shifts at the park slope co-op yesterday. i helped in receving which meant unloading a big ass truck and reading off each of the boxes number to anngel (neat name, no?) while she checked it off her list. then i stocked some stuff in dairy (and only dropped TWO things of cottage cheese which promptly exploded on the ground-jackass!) and then i seriously broke down boxes for the next four hours. they have this cardboard box crusher they call "boxzilla" (well that is what i call it, there is a picture and the words 'boxzilla' on the machine). so i think my back is seizing b/c i was on my feet for over five hours straight. my wrists hurt too from tearing up the thicker boxes that the boxcutter wouldn't get through.

so i met nice people and began to take in the chaos that is the co-op. of course, i immediately began to devise ways that it could work more efficiently (why? i don't know). the shift leader was this woman sarah who *seriously* got paged about four times a minute. i was like "i am so glad i am not sarah" you know i will be sarah in less than a year b/c i am a sucka! anywho i also developed another crush on this other worker (i am pretty sure she is staff b/c she knew a lot and was there all day). her name is guadalupe. she is maybe my height and was wearing all black: black tshirt, black jeans, black converse and this cute black sort of fidel castro hat. she showed me how to really use boxzilla once and i was like "excuse me, teacher could you just give me a refresher course?" i don't think she was the least bit interested in getting to know me and i think i saw her chatting with her sweetie who was shopping. when i left i gave her back my super gription gloves and she said "see you next month" and i told her i had a few shifts next week and she smiled and said "ok then, see you next week." i think she wants me
(yeah and maybe monkeys will fly out my butt). i don't care either way, she is cute as a button and makes breaking down the boxes a whole lot more interesting.

last night jes and i got drinks at gingers with niki and another law student friend named andrea. i liked her, she was smart and we talked about her job at abcnews (i think, whichever one that has good morning america). we talked about how great robin roberts is and how i appreciated the fact that she broke down crying during her newscast b/c her family is from the south (mississippi andrea says). i just really like robin roberts not only b/c she is hot and was a sexy sporty girl basketball player, but also b/c she just seems real and it makes me happy that a female athlete can not only make it as a sportcaster (she used to be on espn) but also as a regular news person. yeah that was a random conversation, but a nice one nonetheless.

so i know i am supposed to report on my chicago trip, so i am going to try and do that now in a separate post. ugh, do i remember how to attach photos, probably not.

anywho, happy birthday to my best friend mary in san francisco. i hope you have a lovely day and i miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home