Tuesday, September 20, 2005

a mouse about the house

so jes woke me up this morning at 3am to let me know that horace was playing with a mouse in our living room. i was so out of it and so i asked her if she was sure that is what she saw. she said yes and told me it was under the couch. so i went out in the living room and watched her sweep under the couch while i went to get a tupperware to catch the "mouse." as the broom came out all i saw was a white fake mouse. i looked at her and she assured me that there was a mouse. horace was going bonkers as were our other two cats but no mouse was to be found. so after a few minutes, we went back to bed.

when i got up this morning horace was at attention staring at the bookshelf and a bunch of the books (my toni morrison books to be exact!) were knocked onto the couch. clearly horace was doing a little hunting during the night. i told him to catch that mouse while i was gone. i spent the day volunteering at the co-op (more on that later) and when i got home he was still a little bonkers but the other cats were chill. jes didn't get home from school until about 8pm. I told her about the bookcase and she was like "well lets check it out." so she pulls out the couch and the lamp and then asks for my help with the bookcase. horace is pacing by this point. as soon as we pull out the bookcase something scurries (i.e the mouse) and horace lunges. jes grabs horace and picks him up and lo and behold, there is a mouse tail sticking out of his mouth. i screamed and ran to get a tupperware and by that time horace squeamed, jes dropped him, he dropped the mouse and the mouse scurried under the stove. we checked underneath the stove and couldn't find it, so hopefully the bugger will come out tonight and mr. ho ho will get him for us. at least one of the tailed ones is earning their keep.

here is a visual of horace the great mouse hunter



so i spent my morning doing uact stuff and then i headed off to the co-op to do our volunteer shifts for september. this time i was working in the office. this place, was, for the most part utter chaos. see they have three paid staff members (mas o menos) in the office and then they have like what seemed like twelve volunteers working, most of whom knew nothing about the workings of the office. within the first ten minutes three staff members asked me to orient some new people. i was like "uh, i am a new person and i am here to be oriented myself" i figured this was not a good sign. eventually i got the hang of things and really it's not brain surgery so it all worked out. i will be exercising my multitasking skills there for sure as well as my patience. it was amazing how many times i would have someone on hold, be answering another line AND be helping a walk in when the phone would ring and the lady next to me would just sit there. i wanted to scream at her "answer the fucking phone dude i am busy." but i did not. i did get to chat with some nice (and attractive) ladies and i learned a lot about the workings of the office, so i guess that is good. i go back tomorrow to receiving to work our october shifts. and you know what receiving means, right? guadalupe. hell yeah.

so i was tired after my shift more mentally than physically and feeling a bit fuzzy in the head. i got home to two wonderful things. first, my friend dawn sent me an email with two pics of her son bailey attached. i can't attach them here b/c they are huge and i don't know how to reduce them. in the pics he is wearing the brooklyn jumper we got him. adorable. i printed one out and taped it to the frig. it breaks my heart to be missing out on so much of his growing. i hate it really. so after that my spirits started to lift. then i got the mail and lo and behold i got some photos from my friend kim s. now yesterday i got a letter from kim so to get pictures today was a real treat. especially when you see them.

this first one is of me and kim from back in july when we went to kentucky for jenrose's cd release.



what's hilarious is that every time i see kim i tell her how pretty her hair is. i love the style and the color and she says everytime "donna troka we have the exact same hair." we don't really. hers is prettier. anywho, she also sent me pictures of her perfect boys rain and finn. here is a picture of them in the tub. rain is older and on the left. finn is the little one.



and here is one of them with their clothes on. i do declare they are near the lake on osu's campus. i took a spill on my bike not far from where they are standing on the first day of teaching orientation when i was getting my master's there. i fell off my bike right in front of a group of girls. skidded right past them. i felt real cool that day.



so yeah, altogether the pictures of all the sweet baby boys in my life really lifted my spirits. soon after i got done looking at the pictures and following up on some uact work, jes came home and we went and got hot diggity dog. now i am drinking a bud light and watching the movie "secondhand lions." it's weird how "i see dead people" boy is all growed up. it's not the greatest movie, but its better than writing my dissertation.

if you want to see a great movie, rent "lakawanna blues"- it's a great story with so many fine actors. i love the little boy in it. he is going to make it big. so much spunk. i also wanted to let yall know i am over my addiction to the food network, but i have developed a new obsession, and her name is ellen degeneres. i love her show and even more, i love her wardrobe. i will keep you posted on where this goes. i don't think i have a chance b/c i have a grown up woman's body and i think she likes lollipop girls. oh bother.

2 Comments:

Blogger nifamatic said...

Damn Donna, you know that if I were in that apartment at 3 in the morning at the initial mouse spotting, I would have squealed like a little bitch and demanded that we all evacuate to the computer lab. Holy shiznit.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

donna, I love this mouse story! One of my favorite tales (or should I say, tails) from the bat cave thus far. we had a brief mouse party in our apartment in atlanta. lola and cala were so into it. i became a little obsessed with finding a perfect and nonlethal/noninjuring mouse trap. eventually we had to get the bulding owners to seal up the place under our stove (sound familiar?!) where the rodents were entering.

Your pal

Tony

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home