Wednesday, June 14, 2006

on a plane to San Francisco

(this was from monday)

For real, as I type this, I am on a plane heading west. Obviously I won’t upload it until I get to Mary’s house, but nevertheless, I am composing it here on my airtran plane, seat 27 C. I was in 29D but I needed more room so I moved across the aisle. I head to SF for National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA). I am giving a paper with Higgins on Friday. I will also visit with Mary, Dusty, their cat CoCo Ray and their NEW dog Davis. Very excited about meeting her. I will also see Nifa and my friends Mel and Tanner. I am looking forward to it all.

I know I should post more about Paris, but I just can’t handle figuring out what pictures I have posted and what stories I have told, so I am going to save that for a time when I am connected to the internet. This past weekend was very exciting because it was Brooklyn Pride. It was also the Newfest GLBT film festival in the city, so needless to say we went out a lot and I did less work on my conference paper/fourth dissertation chapter than I would have liked. Oh well. Anywho we saw two films and attended one panel at the Newfest. The first film was “Pic Up the Mic” a documentary about queer hip hop artists. It was interesting for the most part. Some of it infuriated me, but it got me thinking and I guess that is the point.

We also saw “Boy I Am” a documentary about three transguys in New York City. It was also very provocative and I might try and catch it again on Saturday night in San Francisco. Then on Sunday we went to a panel on lesbian masculinity that was mostly irritating but the panelists had some interesting stuff to say. We rode our bikes to and from the panel which was probably about 17 miles. It was pretty intense to be riding in the city. I was certain I would crash, get hit by a cabbie, get hit by a door to a car and lose all my teeth or get my bike stolen. None of the above happened and instead I got a lot of great exercise and took in the lovely sights of the city. I am definitely more tired today because of it, but its kind of a good soreness.

On Friday night we went to see “Cat Power” in the city and she was really good. She is a bit bonkers the way she was dancing on the stage and all but when it really comes down to it, the girl can sing. I also liked the band she had. There were these two amazing back up singers that really enriched her voice. I was really tired that night but it was a nice chill way for me and Jes to have a little time alone. Afterwards we went home and crashed. On Saturday we had brunch with Jes’s friend Drake in Park Slope and then we met up with Ali to attend the Brooklyn Pride street fest. It was pretty small but still very nice. I got some condoms and lube and six times I got asked if I was a registered Democrat in the state of New York. I had to keep telling them no and it was making me a bit angry. Finally Ali just started telling folks we were Republicans. They would look at us blankly and then I would say “she is just kidding.” Good times. After the fair we headed up to see a movie and then to a nice little reception where jes and ali ate some of the free food while I ate moist crackers (my belly was acting up) and drank one of the strongest vodka tonics I have ever had. After that, we headed back to Park Slope for dinner at the Vspot. This is a new vegan restaurant like twelve feet from Ali’s apartment and we have taken a liking to it. The food is pretty good and fairly affordable but the dishes are not so consistent, nor is the service. We really like the owner guy so we figure once he gets the flow of things, it will be really great.

We kind of rushed through dinner because we wanted to get in free to Cattyshack which meant getting there before 8pm. We literally ran down Union to 4th Avenue and made it just under the gun. It was a fun night there. Lots and lots of cute girls and transguys and a really racially diverse group. My vodka tonic there tasted like plastic so I switched to the most disgusting diet pepsi I have ever had. Ali had wine and Jes had beer. I probably should have gone with one of those. This woman in the shortest daisy duke shorts I have ever seen, a bikini top and a green hoody approached Ali and gave her a flyer to this party. We kept on telling her that “daisy” had a thing for her. Before we left we went down to the dance floor and I got my freak on to Missy and Beyonce and a few other fun songs. Then we left and headed over to Gingers to see how it was going. It was RIDICULOUSLY packed so Ali and I walked in and out while Jes went to the restroom. By then we were all pretty worn out so we went our separate ways.

After our long ass bike ride on Sunday, Ali and Kim came over for a little impromptu bbq. We all had fake burgers (even Kim the carnivore- come to our side Kim) and I made smashed red potatoes and even used rosemary from the garden (how nice!) Jes grilled some corn on the cob and we had smores and strawberries (separately- not together) for dinner. It was divine and relaxing. We busted chats for a minute and then I had to retire to the bedroom for an IM chat with the IDKE Steering Committee. Here is it Monday and I am on a plane all day long. Good times.

So that is about all I have to report. My friend Ara had a bday last week, as did Jasmin, the little girl I used to babysit for in Ohio. She turned 10. I can’t believe it. I am also having a hard time with the fact that my goddaughter Alix will be 12 in July. Oy! She is going to be a teenager soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger ponyboy said...

good luck with your conference! donna dandypants kicks ass.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not be vacating the carnivore club anytime soon but fake meat has potential..
Good luck on the west side!
And just so you know, I did not CTRL F!!!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home