Saturday, December 10, 2005

locksmiths and west coast friends

good saturday morning my lovlies.

i am sorry i have been remiss about writing (christa) but i have to say you all must be tired of hearing how depressed i am (not) writing my dissertation and how i struggle with the whole process most days. i thought i would hold off and write when i had something funny and happy to write about. it took me all week to get to that point.

before i get into the meat (tofu?) of my week, let me first report a star sighting my friend higgins had. she called it in *last night* so it is hot of the presses yall. so first higgs went to the ESPN Zone in TIMES SQUARE (no, she is not high on crack-she simply loves her brother) to watch her brother's soccer team play some important game. perhaps she can comment more on this in the comment session b/c it escapes me what the game was. anywho he coaches mens's soccer (i am guessing it is men's b/c i imagine they do not show women's sports at espn zone unless its like a bikini competition or something) at maybe rutgers (i think).

so now i bet you are wondering "what star did she see at ESPN zone, was it michael jordan? shaquille o'neal? mike ditka?" well stop guessing, she didn't see the star there. AFTER the zone, she went to see this art exhibit (b/c she has culture yall) called "1000 pictures" and while she was there she saw none other than mary catherine gallagher herself, yes, you are correct sir, she saw molly shannon from Saturday Night Live. She even brushed up against her. How hot is that? Very hot. she said she talks just like she does on the show: very nasal.

thanks higgins for sharing your sighting. keep them coming dudes.

ok, so i have been cranky for most of the week b/c again i feel like a loser about my diss and i am afraid to apply for these fellowships, blah blah blah. so i decided i would step away from it on thursday and do a little grocery shopping. this, in brooklyn, takes hours. so i got all layered up b/c it is COLD AS FUCK here (not happy about that) and headed to the washington mutual to take out some cash. then proceeded to the park slope co-op where i was able to purchase most of my groceries. my most exciting purchase aside from my 89 cent avocado was a box of these chocolate chews that provide you with all the calcium you need in one day. you eat two and you are golden and they are DELISH and they do not have hydrogenated oils like the brand name ones called VIACTIV. if any of yall would like me to pick up a box and send them your way i will. or at least pass on the brand name. they have sugar and whey in them, so elin i am not sure if you are allergic. lemme know. anywho, i dropped off those groceries, chatted with the kitties and then headed to key foods to pick up the rest of my groceries for way too much money (they are quite overpriced in my humble opinion). my day brightened when my phone rang in the baking good aisle and it was the aforementioned higgins. we chatted for some time about her stinky day and my stinky day and she gave me professional advice about committee members and asking for recommendations and such b/c she is real smart like that, and then i paid for my groceries and walked home in the freezing cold darkness (it was maybe 5pm). i got home a little crankier then when i left b/c on my way back from key i stopped off at the meat market to get some tilapia and they were out. blast! and i also started to feel a little queasy and i have no idea why. random.

i figured as long as i could get home i would be ok, so i walked the two blocks, got to my door, put down my tote bags of groceries and stuck my key in front door. i went to turn it and it turned a little and then it got stuck. i started to panic a little, and then breathed and then tried some more and some more and some more. no dice. i called my landlord kristin hoping she was simply upstairs, could come downstairs and let me in and we could struggle with the key from the warm inside. nope, she was at work at stony brook. and her partner was at work at nyu. she told me i could go to the locksmith back over by the meat market. so i headed that way and called jes and then she called me back and said to go back to the house and she would try the key. so she arrived and she couldn't get it out either. then we went to the locksmith and he came and tried it again and again with all his tools. no dice. then he broke my key off in the lock. he explained he would have to drill through the door and he asked me for the twelve millionth time if there was anyone in the building. so like a bitch, i reached across him and rang floor two (my landlords apt) and floor three (her partners office) like 100 times. then i saw someone move on the third floor and my stomach dropped. down comes a lady from the third floor. apparently she is subletting the office upstairs one night a week. so she opened the door for us. of course this required her to INTERRUPT her therapy session with a client. NICE DONNA. by that time my key was still jammed in the lock so he had to replace it anyway. two hours and several HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS (in cash i might add- very shady but he didn't charge us tax b/c we paid cash) later, we have a brand new spanking fancy lock on the front door. i was wrecked for the day and had me a nice glass (or two) of white wine. we ate dinner, watched OC and i hit the hay.

yesterday i met up with my friend dusty in williamsburg. she is in town from san francisco showing some of her photos (she is an outstanding photographer) and i went and met her and "helped" her prepare. this meant i pulled frames out of a box, took them out of their wrapping and handed them to her. not much, but it gave me an excuse to hang out with her. we also got lunch at bliss. she got a breakfast burrito which she loved and i got a hummus sandwich. it was ok. it had califlower in it. no me gusta. after she got all the photos framed we sat in BEAN BAGS (how fun is that?) and she finished up this paint by numbers thing she was doing. i headed home and ate fake turkey sandwiches with jes for dinner.

i also got a wonderful surprise on my way to the train in williamsburg: a call from my best friend mary (who is sweeties with dusty and in town for her exhibit as well). now i thought i would not get to see mary until next week b/c i thought she was staying all the way up in queens tonight and then heading to vermont tomorrow. but actually she was just over the border of brooklyn and queens and we got to meet up at the metropolitan. jes and i met mary, dusty, mary's brother joe, mary and dusty's friend shoshana and shoshana's sister who i want to call liz, but i might be making that up. anywho, OF COURSE i took photos because they are all gorgeous.

here is one of mary and dusty. notice how long mary's hair is AND that is it parted down the middle. she normally parts it on the side. now i like the middle part as does shoshana, dusty prefers the side part. maybe when mary stays with me next week i will ask her to side part and then put up comparative photos and yall can tell me which you prefer. its like american idol but no singing and all about hair. anywho... here they are:



and here is mary and her brother joe. i like to call him "joey d.":



and lastly and clearly not leastly, shoshana's sis, shoshana, and dusty. adorable.



after we finished at the bar, jes, dusty, joe and i headed to kellogs diner where we partook in some grilled cheese and fries. then we walked dusty back to where she was staying and jes and i, being the lazy bums we are, took a car service home. saved us at least an hour on the train and walking in the freezing cold. i was so tired i was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

sunday is my friend miriam's bday. happy bday miriam!

and christa if you send me a few pics of your lovely wedding you know i will post that shit here.
holla!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I've been waiting. Glad you got to see your friends. I have no opinion on Mary's hair, as I can't really remember what it looked like when I saw her in SF. I'm going to pass on the chocolate calcium. Thanks for the offer, though.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trokator! Here's the update on my bro's soccer game: He coaches the men's team at Southern Methodist University. Here's his bio: http://smumustangs.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/higgins_jason00.html
I was wicked proud of him because his team made it to the final 4 for the NCAAs for the first time in forever. They got killed by the #1 seed, U Maryland (they ALWAYS win), but I was still psyched for him and had a sweet time watching the game and catching glimpses of my brother. on ESPN. xo Higgins (P.S. Keep up the good work, Troka! We all love to read your updates!)

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home