Sunday, January 29, 2006

ketchup

yall i feel like i need a post to catch up on all the things that i have not written about
so this will feel a bit hodge podge, but will clear my blog brain for a new week
so lets get started

1. last week's supper club
last monday we had supper club at our house and that is when i got turned onto the enneagram groove by monique. i made a simple penne pasta with red sauce and cannellini beans (for protein) and then i *tried* to make this "everyday italian" recipe for baked breaded chicken tenders for the three meat eaters of the group. jes also tried one and said it tasted pretty good but they surely didn't look like the ones that giada made. maybe if i got a boob job and hair extensions and did my makeup like sophia loren, then my chicken tenders would look pretty too. oh bother. for dessert we had vanilla ice cream with chocolate, caramel, and homemade whipped cream. the kids loved it.

so after din din we did some enneagram tests. kim from supper club found another test to accompany the one i posted about before. it can be found at: www.9types.com; click on "new test by tal" and if you do it, post if that comes out with the same result that the last one did. if i remember correctly i was still pretty strongly a two.

here is the group excluding jes and i with their enneagram numbers parenthetically
LEFT TO RIGHT: kim (6,8), glennda (2,6), ali (3,8) & monique (1,3)



and here are their shoes (monique was in socks, so i did not include her in this photo):



a fun game might be to try and match the shoes with the folks they belong to. just in case you have some free time.

2. last week's l word episode:
now this is really a day late and a dollar short b/c i am about to watch another episode of l work tonight with the ladies, so let me be brief. this season, thus far, really really sucks my ass. i mean it is not only infuriating in its normal ways, but the writing is substandard and incredibly disjointed. i am frustrated mostly by this b/c i know people *in my life* who could write better and more engaging storylines. why doesn't eileen chaiken pay them the big bucks to *the* lesbian story on television?

my biggest gripe about the show right now is the character of moira. i am super identifying with her b/c her character is a 'fish out of water' kid from "the midwest." she meet jenny (crazy) in skokie, illinois (where i went to high school) and had been living in wilmette (near my high school). anywho she just seems super one dimensional: bad fashion (flannel with cut off sleeves), simple minded (culture-less only understands computers, not art and literature), butch and way into butch/femme roles (which is seen as immature or some how underdeveloped), poor (can't afford the fancy dinners the other girls can even though they never seem to be at work), and of course she drives a ford f-150 (what i drove all through high school)

their treatment of her seems butchphobic, classist, and entirely stereotypical and b/c, in some ways, she is the closest thing to what represents me (i am less butch and entirely less good looking) i am really taking their portrayal of her to heart. and the discussions on the l word chat boards are really disheartening. i just don't get butchphobia in the lesbo community. i mean i *get* it (i know why it happens), but it just makes me so sad. anywho. that is all i have to say about the l word for now. the rest of the characters are pretty boring for now. i do like alice a little more. i mean i guess i better understand and identify with the crazies she is working through. i secretly want her to get with moira. they are two i identify with most. well i like bette's fierceness and overt political action but she is a bit too bougie for me.

i am going to TRY to write a quick review of the episode every monday morning. we'll see if that happen.

3. feminist writing group:
i had my feminist writing group (minus on person who couldn't make it) over to our apartment yesterday afternoon. we talked about my second chapter of my disseration. i have been really lucky in that lots of my friends and my committee have already looked at this chapter, but my advisor said i need to add a more complete conclusion. so i did that and the group took a look at the draft of the complete chapter. yall, whenever i am feeling blue about my diss and thinking i am a loser, i am going to think about yesterday. it was a really great meeting.

see all the other women in the group graduated with doctorates from emory (three from women's studies and one from the ila which is my department). all have real jobs (three professors and one researcher) and they are all wicked smart and feminist-yippeee. anywho they just gave me such tremendous feedback on my work. useful, helpful stuff. and my favorite part was that they said things like "well i think you should think about such and such here, but not for the diss, that is more for the book." the fact that *they* could envision this as a project beyond the dissertation gave me the courage to do the same. and it helped me to distinguish between the two projects. one is a requirement of my degree and one is the foundation of my career (that sounds dramatic and i don't mean it to).

anywho it got me excited and re-energized about my project and about my career and that feels really good. they all gave me some really specific strategies on how to incorporate some of their suggestions and lisa d. suggested i do it in the next week and then leave it alone. i like the idea of the deadline b/c otherwise i will spend the next two months on this chapter and never move on to the next one. for today, i see a light at the end of the tunnel. another fun tidbit: higgins brought jes a box of heart shaped junior mints. they are delicious.

4. the movie transamerica:
so last night after the ladies left, jes and i went to the pavilion with hopes of seeing brokeback mountain (she has not yet seen it). though we got there about twenty minutes early, it was sold out. oh bother. so we went and saw transamerica instead. jes didn't really know what the movie was about, and i am not sure she was so thrilled we were seeing it, but i think we both ended up liking it. like it or lump it, felicity huffman did do a pretty good job and there were some other really interesting and complex characters. movies here are hella expensive, so we decided we will try one more time to see brokeback at the theater and then stop with the movies out for a while. i mean $21 for both of us to get in is a bit steep.

after the movie, we stopped off at the windsor cafe and shared a grilled cheese with fries and their delcious shake made of soy milk, peanut butter and chocolate sauce. LOVES IT. it was just enough food to tide me over and not feel too greasy or full. then we came home, jes watched the rest of "march of the penguins" (very cute but also sad and lovely), and then we hit the hay.

5. the eat right for your type book:
as per the suggestion of my friend mary from san francisco i ordered some used copies of those books about eating for your blood type (i am O negative). she had told me that o folks should eat lots of meat and not a lot of wheat products (exact oppostite of what i do) and then my sister told me that my dad just found out that he has a severe allergy to wheat and that it is genetic. his allergy has manifested itself lately in some serious stomach problems and according to my sister, the no wheat diet he has gone on has monumentally changed his life. mary has been telling me for years i should try and cut wheat out. so i briefly read through the book and most of it really makes sense. a lot of the foods it says i should avoid i do naturally (they don't appeal to me or they make me sick) but the "eat more meat" thing is really hard for me to accept. AND it says i should avoid avocados and all citrus fruit and i LOVE avocados and citrus fruit and neither EVER give me belly problems.

so my question to you all, dear readers, is this: what do you know about this blood type diet? is it scientifically based or it is a money making scam? i just don't know and i want to try it but i can't bring myself to eating red meat, even if it is organic.

ok, that is all for now. i need to eat something b/c i have the shakes and then i am going to write some letters AND do my taxes.

happy birthday to kirsten. it is her bday today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DonnaJeanTroka -
on the supper club, your food was Divine! On the L-word, those ladies are Deranged. On the bloodtype stuff, sounds like a Diet (all of which I think are c-r-a-p)...although there *might* be somethin' to this wheat thing. love ya! Gt

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home